South Central Herts plans for cycling
A big policy has come to cycling groups in Hertfordshire. This is the South Central Hertfordshire Growth and Travel Plan. It sets out Hertfordshire County’s plans for transport and so making sure cycling is included (which it is) and that important bits are not missed out (some are) is what WelHatCycling and other local groups like St Albans are working on. The plan is for things like:
- A cycle path along the south side of The Campus in WGC, enabling safe cycling across this horribly car-centric gyratory.
- A cycling and walking path parallel to Coopers Green Lane from Stanborough to St Albans. This is a narrow rural lane, but heavily used by traffic which will get heavier with the new housing planned for north west Hatfield.
- A route into Welwyn from Bessemer Road, WGC and then on Woolmer Green. A safe cycle route to Monks Walk School from Welwyn plus a safe link to Welwyn North station.
- A safe cycle route from Welham Green to Brookmans Park and Potters Bar. Much requested by parents of children at Chancellors school and a safe alternative to the Great North Road. We’ve pointed out this should also link to Mount Grace School in Potters Bar.
Of course this will all only happen if there is money to do so, so the whole plan is split into a number of packets of work. Our job is to push for the cycling plans to actually happen. So you can help by:
- Commenting directly on the plan
- Telling WelHatCycling what you think so we can add your comments to the Cycle Herts response from all our groups
- Ask your County Councillor to support the plans and asking your Welwyn Hatfield District Councillor to make sure they allow for them when agreeing new developments.
If you would like to come and discuss this with WelHatCycling, please join us at Humphrey’s, Campus West on Wednesday 12th February from 18:30.
Roots, lots of them
Last December Chris and Ian went out along the Welwyn Hatfield bit of the Alban Way and surveyed every single bit of root damage to the path. There’s a lot, as you can see from their blog about this. We’ve now sent the data to our local councillor asking them to get this fixed.
Barriers to disabled and family cycling
Good news from Welwyn Garden City where an email to a councillor has resulted in the removal of a post right in the middle of a very narrow section of the Cole Green Way.
This matters because this post (and the one at the other end of the path) were blocking anyone using the cycle route if they were disabled on a tricycle or had children in a trailer, as you can see from the photo below:
Our first group ride of the year is on 24th May 2020. You can see what we have planned in our events list.
Facebook and Twitter
WelHatCycling are on both social media and so from time to time you will see us forward or post news to one or the other. Do please join us:
If you’d like to join us for coffee and cycling chat, you’ll find us at Humphreys, Campus West on Wednesday 12th February 2020 at 6.30pm and every second Wednesday at 7.15pm (except August) for the rest of the year.