Next ride: Shaw’s Corner, 27th May 2018
A change to the ride advertised in the newsletter, when we realised that the distance and cost of entry made it a less than good idea!
So instead, a ride to Shaw’s Corner, Ayot St Lawrence, starting from Campus West Welwyn Garden City. Full details on the events page: http://www.welhatcycling.org.uk/event/shaws-corner-may18/
Annual General Meeting
Our June meeting, on Wednesday 13th June 2018, will be our annual general meeting. If you have any issues you wish to bring to the meeting, please can you let me know by emailing email@example.com no later than Friday 1st June 2018.
Litter pick 28th April 2018
We cleared 41 bags of rubbish from the Alban Way in Hatfield, of which 17 were recyclable glass bottle and cans. Thanks to the 10 people who came out on a damp day to help.
Woods Ave cycle route
We’ve added some photos to our web site showing progress at the end of April.
- We’ve sent Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council a commentary on their Hatfield 2030+ Transport Strategy. Things you will be pleased to see include a number of core corridors which will gain cycle routes, for example, shared used pavement along the whole of Bishops Rise, the cross-town centre link and works to make the route along Queensway much safer, by reducing the road to a two-lane road and a parallel off- road cycle route. We had to suggest corrections, not least to the map of the local routes which had some inaccuracies. You can see the plans here: https://www.hatfield2030.co.uk/transport-strategy-for-hatfield-published.htm/hatfield-2030-transport-strategy If anyone would like a copy of our response please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cycling UK has responded to the Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy (CWIS) safety review asking for;
- consistent standards for infrastructure,
- increased roads policing (building on the very successful West Midlands Police close pass scheme),
- a review of sentencing (promised for 4 years now but not yet done),
- changes to the highway code to make the 1.5m space when overtaking rule clear and bring in the Dutch Reach for drivers opening doors (use the hand furthest from the door, which means you then look behind you).
- Direct vision lorry cabs to get rid of blind spots.
You can see the response here: https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclesafety