1. What experience do you and your family have of cycling? Do you have different concerns with younger or older family members cycling, than you would for yourself?
I have previously cycled from London to Manchester and from Paris to London, most of my cycling is with my family to a local Welwyn Hatfield pub for lunch.
2. What challenges do people face in Welwyn Hatfield that prevent them from cycling, especially children and those using cycling as a mobility aid, and how will you address them?
The greatest thing that people notice when they take two bicycles is the quality of our roads, or to be more accurate, where they have bumps and potholes. These are much more notable on a bicycle than in a car and can seriously impact on cyclists ability to get round safely. I’m encouraging the county council to invest more in our cycling infrastructure and roads.
3. Which junctions need to be improved to increase safety for people cycling, and what can be done to fix them?
There is a long list and it is difficult to pick one above others. However, I would say that I find negotiating many of the roundabouts in Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City on a bicycle can be challenging. Road engineering with cyclists in mind could definitely help here.
4. Do you support the completion of the Hatfield Station to Business Park cycle route and if yes, how will you ensure the missing section from The Commons to French Horn Lane is rapidly constructed?
Yes I do and I will be very happy to join with you in addressing the missing section.
5. With road changes planned for Welwyn Garden City, how will you ensure that cycle access is improved into the Town Centre ?
I would propose that we meet after the election if I am returned as your MP to discuss how best to coordinate our approach. I am broadly very supportive of making our towns more accessible to cyclists.
All best wishes,
The Rt Hon Grant Shapps, Welwyn Hatfield Conservative Parliament Candidate